Part A—Preliminary Examination
Paper I ‐ (200 marks) Duration: Two hours
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography ‐ Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance ‐ Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development ‐ Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio‐diversity and Climate Change ‐ that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
Paper II ‐ (200 marks) Duration : Two hours
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. — Class X level)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
Note 1: Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item in the Syllabus of Paper‐II) will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.
Note 2: The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type.
Note 3: It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the Papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he/she does not appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination.